Friday, May 18, 2018

PERSONAL SPECIAL...............How good are you at estimating time?


How good are you at estimating time?
I remember my days during University when I had major assignments to do. At the beginning I had the terrible habit of leaving things till the end. Not an uncommon habit at the time, but that gave me no comfort!
Another big project. 2 weeks till its due? No problem. I can do it in 4 days.
The result? You guessed it. I'd be pulling 3 all-nighters in a row in a mad rush to finish.
Here's another scenario, which I happen to run into all the time.
Do you have .. ahem.. friends who have an appointment at 9 o'clock and leave the house at 8:55? ... And are surprised when they arrive half an hour late?
It seems like a lot of people (including me during University) just start out being horrible at estimating time accurately.
During my early years as a manager overseeing a whole team of engineers at Redhat, estimating time accurately became absolutely essential for me. It was no longer just a matter of sleepness nights over a college assignment. These were big, multi-team, internationally coordinated projects at stake.
Luckily for me, I encountered these challenges during my early days exploring and trying out different lifehacks. It was here when I found a method that really gave me a eureka moment. I don't remember if it has a name, but I personally like to call it the Rewind and Reduce Method. This method helped me to not only systematically break down a project, but also set achievable deadlines that I could very confidently achieve consistently.
It made me into one of the most reliable performers, and the go-to guy for a lot of important projects.
It just takes 3 simple steps.
The first step is to Rewind. Start from the end, take your final goal and work backwards, identifying the main milestones you need to accomplish it.
For example, say I'm planning how to write my next article.
Well, working backwards, some milestones I may identify might be:
1. Review the final copy
2. Edit and modify the draft
3. Have an editor review my draft
4. Write the first draft
5. Create my article outline
6. Think of a topic and gather material
The second step is to Reduce. With each milestone, break it down into bite-sized actions. Bite-sized means they are focused on one specific objective, and is something you expect to finish within an hour. Next is to estimate how long you'll spend on each task. The more bite-sized the task, the easier and more accurate it is to estimate.
Finally, the third step is to add up all your estimates for each milestone to arrive at a pretty accurate timeline. Going back to my article example, say my deadline is end of Friday, and I can only devote 1 hr a day to work on it.
Here's how I Rewind and Reduce:
  • Review the final copy and publish - 0.5 hr (Friday)
  • Edit and modify the draft - 1 hr (Thursday)
  • Have an editor review my draft - 0.5 hr (Wednesday)
  • Write the first draft - 1 hr (Tuesday)
  • Create my article outline - 0.5 hr (Monday)
  • Think of a topic and gather material - 0.5 hr
Total estimated time: 4 hrs
From the milestones I worked backwords from, I realize that I'll need to get it to an editor by Wednesday. That means that the absolute latest I can start is on Monday in order to reasonably hit my deadline. Pretty easy, right?
Lifehack.org

No comments: