Wednesday, January 20, 2016

PERSONAL /COMPETITOR SPECIAL .......WHAT I LEARNT FROM MY COMPETITOR(22)

WHAT I LEARNT FROM MY COMPETITOR(22)

“You don't Need to Walk the Talk if you Can Write it“
Agnello Dias, Cofounder, Taproot India (now Taproot Dentsu)

CLAIM TO FAME: Regarded as one of the best copywriters in the world, Dias is the mighty pen behind several famous and effective campaigns, from his work on The Times of India and Mumbai Mirror to Nike and Airtel
THE LESSON: Many years ago when I was just about getting the hang of advertising, the art of writing copy was the biggest litmus test for all writers. And of course we had the pantheon of writing sainthood to look up to.Mohammed Khan, Chris D'Rozario, Frank Simoes, Alok Nanda and so many more.Naïve and scared witless at the landslide of sharp metaphors and delicate idioms that flowed out of their pens onto our newspapers every Saturday, I knew that I would never be able to match even 20% of their genius. I was lesser-read, lesser-articulate and lesser-aware than any writer I knew.
Worse, I had decided that I didn't even `look' like a writer, leave alone write like one. All it took was one look at all the gentlemen mentioned above and you just knew they were born to write. Intelligent, sharpwitted, self-aware and with the smug lazy elegance of the truly talented, they looked like they could write poetry with a teaspoon if they wanted to.
I, on the other hand, did not even `look' the part. My words were allergic to my face.We're talking about the early '90s here, no internet, no Google... and maybe aspiring writers caught strange phobias, who knows.
And then out of the blue, a writer called KS Gopal won Copywriter of the Year. Another one who probably looks like he walked out of the editorial credits of GQ or Esquire, I thought.
Till I met Gopal and it opened my world.
Here was this sweet, simple, God-fearing, neighbourly-looking boy who looked like he was stepping out of Malgudi Days only to write the A4s off everybody. Like hell, he didn't look the proverbial `part' and boy, did he make me change my writing instead of my appearance.
It was a really stupid lesson that I should never have had to learn, come to think of it.But I learned that you don't need to walk the talk if you can write it.
It's not how writers look, it's how their words look that matters. After all, we can be anything we write. A Trojan horse, an angry eunuch, a loving cripple, a blue whale with an ego, a bipolar playboy, a little girl who talks to her bicycle... I've never looked into the mirror again.
(As told to Delshad Irani)

ETM27DEC15

No comments: