Tuesday, December 15, 2015

TRAVEL SPECIAL............. DENMARK : OF KNIGHTS, CASTLES AND FAIRYTALES

DENMARK : OF KNIGHTS, CASTLES AND FAIRYTALES


Dotted with castles, Denmark's historical landscape takes you back to those fond tales of childhood

It's almost noon and the sun has bare ly made its appearance in the grey skies of Copenhagen. A group of young boys whizzes past me in their cycles as I walk along the old Frederiksstaden, the district created by King Frederik V in the 18th century. There is a nip in the air and I feel as if I'm lost in an era of kings and knights. Suddenly there is music in the air. In front of me are four large castles looming large, and standing in the centre is King Frederik V himself.

I am at Amalienborg , a roy al complex with palaces built in the Danish Rococco style that are over 300 years old. Each of these palaces was built for different kings but are now winter residences of the royal family. And then a pageant opens up in front of our eyes -the Royal Change of Guards as they march from their barracks, through Rosenborg Castle and reach here at noon sharp for the ceremony. I watch for a while and wander about in the old town.
Palaces and castles dot the landscape.The canals are framed by the towering Christiansborg Palace, built over the site of a medieval castle. Once upon a time it was home to the royalty, but now it is the seat of Parliament. Climbing to the top of the tower, which houses the ex clusive Danish speciality restaur, rant, The Taarnet, I see the en tire city of Copenhagen bustling about. One can spend an entire day here, but I'm more taken in by the ruins below the palace which transport me to medieval times ­ crumbling structures of the old cas tles built more than 1,000 years ago. Denmark, to me, has always been a fairy tale world created by Hans Christian Anderson where Little Mermaids , Ugly Ducklings and Tin Soldiers lived. And in this atmosphere of fantasy, I also see ghosts walking around. It is drama all around me when I set eyes on the formidable Kronborg Castle built along the waters that separate Sweden and Denmark. This is the moment I am waiting for.

I am at Elsinore or Helsingor, a little further away from Copenhagen where the UNESCO World Heritage Site, Renaissance Cas tle stands. Built by King Frederick XI in the 16th century, it was rebuilt by Christian IV after a fire destroyed it. Standing there and gazing at the massive monument, I can feel the melancholy that surrounds it.
This is where Shakespeare set his play, Hamlet, a plot he borrowed from a medieval work by Saxo Grammaticus in his History of Danes. And as I walk through the dark casements into the rooms, I can hear the ghost wandering around, persuading Hamlet, the Prince of Denmark to take revenge.
I am joined by Horatio, Hamlet's friend and my tour guide for the day who takes me through the fortress, narrating scenes from the play as we move from the gloomy casements to the royal chambers, the chapel and the final arena where the tragedy unfolds.
But it is not just Hamlet and his troupe that have made the castle their home. Legends speak of the Danish hero, Holger Danske, who sleeps here with his arms crossed and his hand, ready on the sword, waiting to be called any time to fight.

I leave Helsingor and head to Hillerod to see another palace built over 500 years ago ­ one of the most charming and largest Renaissance castles in all of Scandinavia. This is Frederiksborg palace built by Frederick XI and then rebuilt by Christian IV, the two kings who seem to have made every monument in Denmark a piece of ornamental beauty. For a moment, it looks like a grand ship floating on the Palace Lake. As if on cue, the weather changes and it starts to rain, lending a tinge of romance to the atmosphere. Every room is an ode to magnificence with paintings and portraits everywhere, taking you into a fantasy world of myths and legends. Although the palace has been restored after the fire, the Palace Church still retains its splendour of the past, miraculously untouched by the fire, taking you to the era of Christian IV.
I look out of the window into the lush gardens soaked in the rain, my eyes trailing off into the distance as I lose myself in a world of kings and queens, fairies and elves. And all of a sudden, a princess stands in front of me, snapping me out of my reverie. I realise that Denmark is a dreamland where both fantasy and reality merge somewhere along the walls of these old castles.

FACT FILE
Once a fishing hamlet, Copenhagen, known for its happy optimistic people, blends its historic past with contempo rary lifestyles. Visit during spring and summer but winter has its own charm.
Copenhagen has over 15 Michelin starred restaurants, but if you must try one thing, then it has to be their open sandwich, smorrebrod.

HIGH TEA AT A 300-YEAR-OLD CASTLE
Surrounded by lush grasslands and flanked by mountains, the Kokkedal Castle in white stands like a beacon amidnature. Once a home of nobility, the castle is now a hotel hosting fairytale weddings while guests tee off at the golf course. A unique experience here would be to soak in the tradition of having high tea with scones and cakes and delicious chocolates and sandwiches. Wander away, sit under the trees, indulge in the spa or gaze at the seductive paintings in the underground cellar restaurant, while waiting for your meal.

Lakshmi Sharath
TL29NOV15



No comments: