Saturday, December 26, 2015

PERSONAL EXPERIENCE SPECIAL.......................EXPANDING BOUNDARIES How working abroad changed me...

EXPANDING BOUNDARIES How working abroad changed me...


FOUR PROFESSIONALS TELL US HOW THEIR LIVES TOOK A TURN FOR THE BETTER WHEN THEY DECIDED TO ACCEPT AN OVERSEAS STINT

Living and working in a country outside your own inevitably brings challenges and excitement.Not every step of the journey towards relating to colleagues belonging to culturally different backgrounds, finding your way in an alien environment and learning to survive on your own is easy .But it's also an experience like no other because you have the opportunity to travel, make new friends and get more exposure than you could have ever hoped for.


VIJAY SIVARAM, Regional Director, Asia Pacific, Quess Corp Ltd
 Worked in: South East Asia (Malaysia and Philippines)
The South-East Asian cultures are fairly different from ours and the first thing you learn with colleagues is to adapt to how they think and work. I had to overcome the local language barrier, but at the same time, understood their mode of speech, eventually becoming a good listener. Living away from my home country has given me an exposure to a very diverse set of nationalities and cultures. You learn to acclamatise and there are times when you need to unlearn and learn again.
No matter where you live, social circle takes a while to develop; it takes time to meet likeminded people with whom you can spend a pleasant evening. Here in the region, almost everyone has a strong work-life balance and after work, most people develop a hobby or do something of interest like sports. My weekends are usually spent visiting friends and family or I become a weekend tourist and go around the country.

J VENKAT, Director, Maxeed
Worked in: Dubai and other parts of the Middle-East
When an Indian goes abroad for a work-related opportunity, he is part of a completely new environment. The diversity of cultures one gets to interact with is quite different to how it is in our country. Every land has its own practices when it comes to work, right from the office timings to the decorum that needs to be maintained. The company I worked with previously had people from 21 different nationalities. Meeting people from across the world, makes one realise how their sentiments and perspectives are different. To increase familiarity and bonding in a new work environment, I decided to take part in social meetings which helped me relate to my colleagues in an easier manner. A certain sense of confidence is also achieved in managing people in such an environment, which aided me in dealing with my colleagues in India through a larger perspective of understanding.
I would surely recommend a stint abroad for both, personal and professional growth. To be in an unfamiliar surrounding helps one expand their interpersonal skills, by mixing with people of different nationalities. Also, by working with various leading MNCs, one learns different practices and negotiation skills through great learning. It also helps one build a strong network of professional connections and adds value to business growth opportunities.

SIDDARTH BHARWANI, Vice President, Jetking Worked in: Australia
I happened to work in Gold Coast which is a paradise for after-work activities. My colleagues became my friends over time and often, we had multiple chances to explore the city side of Gold Coast. Over and above being a multi-cultural state of Brisbane, there were quite a few activities like language learning, shooting ranges, and sanctuaries we used to visit. Our company, which I founded, was my first start-up venture and I spent most of my time in improving the website, even on weekends. It is always important to keep an open mind when exploring a new place. If our mind is closed, it gets difficult to adapt. I met a number of people who I still maintain strong ties with till today. It helped me open my mind to a number of ideas that I wouldn't have come across if I had not started the venture.

ANAGHA VYAS, Center Head Columbus Development Centre, Persistent Systems
 Worked in: United States of America
Nothing helps you understand why customers or colleagues based in the US discuss the weather or football so passionately, till you experience the American mid-west! And three words can divide the nation Soda, Pop and Coke. Jokes apart, the biggest value of a stint abroad is the career capital that you build. The experience fosters individualism, initiative and independence.
The work culture in the US has several things to learn from. You experience a highly-disciplined work ethic. Whether a person works out of the office or home, the day starts early and ends on schedule. Work and personal life are well segregated and equally respected. If you run into a friend who is late for a meeting and she doesn't stop to say hello, don't be surprised. There is high value placed on punctuality. Be it a professional meeting or a cocktail party, it will start and end on time!
Ankita Shreeram


TAS 9DEC15

No comments: