Saturday, May 30, 2015

CEO SPECIAL..................... CEO’S PRODUCTIVITY SECRETS(2)



CEO’S PRODUCTIVITY
SECRETS(2)

6.    Keep your emails short, interact face to face“
SHISHIR BAIJAL, CHAIRMAN & MANAGING DIRECTOR, KNIGHT FRANK INDIA
“I've made it a habit to wake up at 5 am and spend at least an hour at the gym
or doing yoga on my sea-facing balcony. I get to the office by 8 am, an hour
before everyone. This gives me time to think and plan the day. My own work,
such as answering mails, is all done before anyone else comes in, leaving me
free the rest of the day to meet with people and build relationships. I'm not much
into email communication ­ I keep my replies short and terse and prefer talking
to people on the phone or face-to-face. When I'm traveling, though, I don't go
to the gym or do yoga. Instead, I take a long walk.“

7.    “Walk around the office“
RAJIV KAUL, VICE CHAIRMAN AND CEO, CMS INFO SYSTEMS
“Over the past 20 years, I have developed a habit of walking around the office
meeting people. I don't spend much time at my desk. We have a lot of
conversations in the corridors, where issues are resolved. I prefer that to
scheduling formal meetings. I also keep emails to the minimum. I spend
45 minutes on email daily and I don't get or send more than ten emails a day.
Compare that with most other people who take pride in getting 100 emails a day
and spend a lot of their time on them. Four years ago, I told everyone that
I don't want to be marked on every office email.“’

8.    “Maintain a journal & listen to people“
MUNISH SHARDA, MANAGING DIRECTOR & CEO,
FUTURE GENERALI LIFE INSURANCE
“Since 2009, I keep a hand-written diary with a list of things to do, in which
I make jottings at least three times a week. This is very useful given the hectic schedules.Another work habit I have instituted is a “listen only“ session with
my team every six months. At these sessions my direct reports can say anything
they want and I only listen and don't respond during the course of the meeting.
A third work habit I have is to do with managing relationships. At the start of
every month, my secretary gives me a list of birthdays, anniversaries and work
anniversaries for my direct reports and I call and wish them.“

9.    “De-clutter your life“
SHALABH SETH, MANAGING DIRECTOR, SABMILLER INDIA
“I allocate “me time“ on a daily basis as well as on weekends. This “me time“
is as sacrosanct as the most important business meeting. This habit en sures that
one is always ready for a marathon and not just a single race. My Saturday
afternoon nap is something I enjoy and I try never to schedule anything that
disturbs the routine. Over time, I have tried to de-clutter my life. For example,
my formal wardrobe consists of light shirts and dark trousers. On Fridays and
weekends, I wear jeans and T-shirts. I don't waste time pondering jeans and
T-shirts. I don't waste time pondering over what I should wear. I have moved
most of my work on to my iPhone, so I no longer carry a laptop, though I still
carry my iPad as back up. We're a beer company, so I've made it a habit to take
my team out to a bar after meetings. When I visit our offices outside Bangalore,
I make it a point to take everyone there out for a drink in the evenings.“

10.           “Travel for new ideas“
DEVENDRA SHAH, CHAIRMAN, PARAG MILK FOODS
“Innovation doesn't come from sitting in the office. When we set up our first
cheese plant, the technology here was limited, so I toured Europe.I have now
made it a habit to travel abroad at least six times a year, usually for one week
at a stretch. I usually go alone, but sometimes I take one of my senior technical
people. I don't just go to developed countries, but also to the developing nations
of Asia. My last trip was to the Philippines. I look for insights when I travel.“
By Dibeyendu Ganguly & Dearton Hector
With inputs from Priyanka Sangani and Moinak Mitra
CDET22MAY15

No comments: