Friday, May 22, 2015

CEO SPECIAL....................... CEO’S PRODUCTIVITY SECRETS (1)

CEO’S PRODUCTIVITY
SECRETS

1.    “Spend time with your direct reports“
KAMAL K SHARMA, VICE CHAIRMAN, LUPIN
“I make it a habit to spend quality time with my direct reports. Every week,
I mark out at 2 least an hour-and-a-half with a direct report, where we might talk
about anything, not just the work at hand. Now it's usually in the office, but earlier,
it was also over lunch.Another habit I have inculcated since my IIT days is to
stay focused on a problem until it is solved. I don't subscribe to the idea that
you should set a problem aside for a while if it is proving to be intractable.
I believe you need to keep at it until it is solved.“

2.    “Don't take the phone to meetings“
ANUJ AGARWAL, MD AND CEO, BAJAJ ALLIANZ
“I come to office early and plan out the entire day. At the end of the day, I make
sure that everything I planned is done. I also make a yearly plan at the beginning
of the year. This is pasted on to the wall in my cabin in front of me. I split this
to monthly targets and I conduct review meetings with my colleagues for their
feedback on where we are regarding targets. I only take the yearly plan off my
wall at the end of a year. I don't take my phone with me when I am entering
a meeting and I don't check my mails while in a meeting as I consider that as
very disrespectful.“

3.    “Be approachable, day & night“
GVK REDDY, CHAIRMAN & MANAGING DIRECTOR, GVK GROUP
“Punctuality is the cornerstone. I make it a point to always be on time to office,
and this automatically sets an example for everybody at GVK. I begin work in
the morning, with a meeting with the Heads of Departments (HODs) of various
projects to guide them to achieve the best, followed by meetings with other
people from outside the organisation. After a break for lunch, I resume office
to work until end of the day.I like to be approachable at all times, whenever
they feel the need for experience, and in times of crises. I ensure that I am
available even in the middle of the night if someone calls me for my advice
and guidance.“

4.    “Use your daily commutes to manage“
VINAY AGRAWAL, CEO, ANGEL BROKING
“Like most Mumbaikars, I have a fairly long commute to work. I use the morning
ride to plan my day and the evening ride to network. I also take out three hours
every week to browse the net and keep up with latest technology trends. I keep
hand-written notes in a personal diary during the monthly meeting of senior
executives, where I make a note of commitments each one has made. At any
meeting, I have notes from at least 12 previous meetings, so I can recall what
was said before and monitor what action has been taken. My direct reports know
of this habit, so they're very careful.“

5.    “Seek fresh perspectives, use sticky notes“
ROHIT BANSAL, CO-FOUNDER, SNAPDEAL
“Every morning,I drink a huge glass of water and check emails that came through
 the night. I clear my mailbox every night. I spend the first 15 minutes of a work
day planning. On the laptop, I use sticky notes all the time. Ours is a fast growing
company, so it is difficult to stay away from work completely over weekends.
But I do ensure that I spend time with my family a lot more on weekends than
on weekdays. I meet at least two new people every week from any stream to
keep a fresh perspective on the world. Many of them are not even connected
to the Snapdeal business.I meet them, sometimes at our office or at coffee shops
and restaurants. I try and stay connected with most people either through phone
calls or emails or social networking sites.“
By Dibeyendu Ganguly & Dearton Hector
With inputs from Priyanka Sangani and Moinak Mitra

CDET22MAY15

No comments: