Wednesday, January 28, 2015

HEALTH SPECIAL.................... 9 steps to fitness

HEALTH SPECIAL 9 steps to fitness 

Losing weight is never easy. Here's how I went about it -the smart way

A few years ago, when I was over weight and borderline obese and when my waist size grew to 38 inches, I decided to hit a gym. Three years later, my waist size is 32 inches and here's the story of how I did it.
Step 1: Choose the right gym
It is important to choose a gym based on convenience, hygiene and equipment. It is even more important to choose a gym where you can get guidance, periodic checkups and tailored workout plans based on the needs of your body.
Step 2: Choose the right trainer
A personal trainer, who can understand your requirement and tailor the plan based on it, is a must. He is also the one, who can provide simple tips, right ways of doing exercise and be a sympathetic partner in your journey. During my registration, I told my manager that I required a personal trainer who has worked with forty year olds before and is available in the evenings. The manager's list drastically decreased to one person who in the end turned out to be perfect for me.
The manager immediately called him and after a few moments of conversation, sized me up and replied: “the okay type“. The trainer was probably wondering how bad the situation was. My trainer drafted a schedule after consulting with the physiotherapist of the gym. I am indebted to my trainer who took upon himself to help me achieving my fitness.
Step 3: Mental strength
In the first week itself, I decided to quit the gym. And this feeling persisted for almost two months. However, my resolute trainer would call and call and make sure that I came to gym every day. “Sir, today we'll only work on the body parts which are not paining, I promise.Don't worry, it won't hurt much. Just come to gym today.“ I could have easily ignored him, but I chose to remain mentally determined to undertake this journey in spite of the pain and minimal results initially.
Step 4: Keep your general physician informed
There came a day when I found it difficult to walk. I was advised to meet my general physician and I consulted him. Upon giving him my exercise schedule, he agreed with my trainer's methods. He gave me some protein tablets and advised that my body would take some time to adjust to the exercise routine. It is important to have your general physician informed as throughout my workout journey over the past three years, there have been pains and soreness in various parts of my body that my physician could help me out with, be it with a few vitamins or by simply counselling.
Step 5: Diet
The key is moderation and not avoidance.The gym's dietician and internet sources suggested that one consume all types of food carbohydrate, protein, vitamins, minerals, and even fats. I did reduce my consumption of pickles, desserts and deep fried snacks. The changes that I made as I began to work out were ingesting more natural proteins after the workout, like egg whites. Six small meals in moderate quantities has slowly become a habit and I eat dinner some two and half hours before sleeping. Of course, I do encounter the occasional challenge when food is served late at parties. My solution is simple. Eat a little at your normal time and then have a little at the party to avoid offending your host. I did splurge occasionally, but slowly the urge has also died down in order to avoid working harder to shed those extra calories.
Step 6: Be a student
As we rise in our careers, we tend to forget that one can learn from juniors too. My per sonal trainer who was around half of my age had taken the role of a strict headmaster. I decided to oblige and play the part of the student simply because he was the expert and was passionate about his job. He has scolded me for cheating on the exercises and shouted at me for not doing them properly after teach ing multiple times. He punished me too by repeating some exercises. He also motivated me whenever I was feeling down. So, leave your executive position aside and be hungry to learn from your trainer.
Step 7: Keep changing your exercise regime
My initial schedule was predominately cardio with some weight training and general fitness exercises like crunches and a few yoga positions. Slowly, my trainer would change the exercises and the time spent on them every three months, depending upon the physiotherapist's report. The change is required to shake the body out of its accustomed exercise routine to ensure that the workout is yielding the right results.
Step 8: Reward yourself
“I think you need a smaller size,“ said the shop assistant, sizing me up. Working out is very rewarding. It opens the doors to a whole new world of fashion. In the past three years I've had a huge change in wardrobe. Due to my reducing size, I've begun picking out slim fits and fashionable clothes. It has been a welcome change from the past where my sole aim was to find something that would hide my bulge because now, no matter what I wear, I feel confident.
Step 9: Make fitness a part of your lifestyle
Once fitness is regained, you don't want to lose it. It is important to make it a part of your daily routine. Just because you've reached your goal doesn't mean you are done.Incorporate it into your everyday life.
Health problems are either god-sent or man-made. Since the latter is in our hands we should do our best to avoid it. After all, the benefits of good health don't need any more advertisement.
by Utkarsh Rai
 The writer is VP & MD Infinera India and an author
CDET23JAN15








No comments: