Wednesday, September 10, 2014

WOMAN CEO SPECIAL...................... CHANDA KOCHHAR

WOMAN CEO : CHANDA KOCHHAR

My success lies in being able to balance the big and small: Chanda Kochhar


After breaking into the all male club that was the Top 10 of the India Inc's Most Powerful CEOs listing in 2010, Chanda Kochhar has remained there for the past four years as India Inc's No.1 woman CEO.

In a list dominated by promoters, she is the country's most powerful professional CEO. And as CEO of ICICI Bank, she also happens to be the country's most powerful banker.
Ms Kochhar spoke with CD minutes before taking off on a flight to Delhi. Edited excerpts:

Why do you think you've been voted as India Inc's No. 1 woman CEO? 

It's probably because of my job and not me personally.
Why are bank CEOs perceived as powerful? 

Banks do play a very important role in the lives of individuals, of companies, the economy and society as a whole. Banks are catalysts for the country's economic growth and have the capability to create an impact. That would be the reason bank CEOs are considered powerful. They have a lot of responsibility since every step they take touches the lives of large numbers of people.
How would you describe your leadership style? 

It's difficult to describe your own leadership style, but I'd say it's about mix and balance. Broad strategic thinking coupled with an eye for execution. An ability to balance the big and the small.

I constantly gauge the environment and look for opportunities. I constantly communicate with our people, whenever I go to a regional office or a branch. I talk about the future, where the organisation is going.
Are you big on mentoring like your predecessor KV Kamat? 

Mentoring is important. I look at it in two ways. One is to mentor people at the highest level of the organisation, those who report to me and a few layers down as well. There's the second aspect of multi-faceted teams. There is a need to give people exposure to different kinds of work so that they learn to adapt. To me, this aspect of creating multi-faceted teams is very important.

What would you like your legacy at ICICI to be? 

I have many years ahead of me, so I'm not thinking in terms of personal legacy. I'm focused on the present. But as an organisation, ICICI's legacy should be its contribution to the country's growth via a sustainable business model. That's what I'd like people to think of when they think of ICICI.



By Dibeyendu Ganguly, ET 140905

No comments: