Saturday, April 26, 2014

CEO SPECIAL ........................Sudhakar Ram, CEO of Mastek


 Sudhakar Ram, CEO of Mastek 

Anything Can Happen
Five experiences that have shaped Sudhakar Ram, CEO of Mastek

Being packed off to the IIM
My early childhood and schooling was in Delhi and Calcutta. We moved to Chennai when I was eight. I graduated in commerce from Loyola College. Despite being a top ranker, I thought I was done with studies and was ready to join the family business in printing and publishing. A friend was giving the the IIM entrance exam and I joined him, just for a lark. When I got in I was in two minds – whether to waste another couple of years studying or get on with life.
    My father pushed me into going to IIM Calcutta, telling me that I could always come back to the business after I complete my MBA. Little did he realize that he had lost me as an employee, forever. At the IIM, I discovered the two loves of my life: my wife, Girija, and computers. Both changed my life completely. I ended up working in Mumbai instead of Chennai because Girija lived there. And I got myself a job in the IT side of advertising. I eventually joined our software vendor – Mastek – as part of the founding team.
Visiting an orphanage
We were vacationing in Chennai when my brother suggested that we should visit Udavum Karangal, an orphanage doing wonderful work in taking care of abandoned children. Girija and I met with Papa Vidyakar, a truly inspirational human being. He took us around one of his facilities for newly borns, where Girija and I could pick up and hold dozens of children - a delightful, heart-warming experience. We had been pretty clear in our heads that we had no time to have children of our own, since we were deep into our careers. I do think that the visit to the orphanage changed our mind, and planted the seeds for Samvitha, our daughter who was born a few years later.
Bringing up my daughter
Raising Samvitha was definitely a life-changing experience for my wife and me. We had the advantage of having a child in our mid-thirties, when we had reached a level in our careers where we did not need to prove ourselves every day. I could really savour the experience, making my daughter as much of a priority as my work at Mastek. I had the advantage of working close to home. I could come home during lunch to be with her and eat together. I still remember an eight-month-old Samvitha, sitting in a baby seat fixed to the dining table, sharing the food that I ate – including spicy pickles and delicious mangoes.
    Reading to her from the age of six months, probably got her to speak sentences by the time she was one, and has fostered her love for reading and writing. Treating her like an adult from a very young age has probably helped her mature quickly. Now at eighteen, she is perfectly capable of living her own life with no support from either my wife or me. I am fortunate to have been able to spend that time – unlike several fathers who miss that experience. Bringing up Samvitha helped me develop as a person, teaching me to love another human being unconditionally.
The writers who inspired me
I have always been a voracious reader and several books have inspired me. The writings of Mahatma Gandhi have been a great source of inspiration. His thinking, in many ways, was way ahead of his times and is far more relevant to the 21st century. EF Schumacher was a great bridge in adapting Gandhian and Buddhist thought for an industrialized world through his book Small is Beautiful. Stephen Covey and Benjamin Zander  have influenced me greatly through
their books on personal transformation. Buckminster Fuller, Paul Hawken, McDonough and Braungart were wonderful in expounding on technology for a more sustainable world. Arie de Geus has always inspired me to look at corporations as living organisms, while Adam Smith’s notions of perfect competition are still waiting to be applied with integrity. All these writers provided the foundation for my book on the 21st century.
Writing my first book – T h e C o n n e c t e d A g e
I have always been fond of writing, and have been doing opinion pieces for The Economic Times and other business publications. In 2009, post the economic meltdown, I realized some fundamental rethinking was required in the world. Reflecting on the issues, I had an insight worth sharing. The Industrial Age had brought enormous prosperity to many people on the planet. Its constructs were scale, standardization, repeatability and so on. These very assumptions were now destroying the planet but we were almost blind to it. Unless the world reinvented these assumptions – about success, learning, work, consumption, wellness, markets, organizations and governments – we would not be able to transform our planet into something that works for all of us.
    An editor of Harvard Business Review, whom I consulted about writing a book, advised me to do some ground work and share my learnings as a blog rather than jump straight into a book. That was the inspiration to start a blog, The New Constructs. The blog is a chronicle of my meetings with people who are doing outstanding work outside the mainstream, books that throw light on what the new world needs to look like, my reflections, learnings and practices, and my interpretation of topical events in light of the new world. With a consistent post every week, I have now completed more than 230 posts over the last 4+ years – and was amazed to see that it has attracted a Facebook fan following of more than 40,000.
    It is all this research that has now been transformed into the book. I have really enjoyed this whole journey. It has been a period of deep personal transformation. I have been able to put into practice many of the new learnings I have had during this journey.



CDET 140418

No comments: