Wednesday, March 12, 2014

PERSONALITY SPECIAL .....................................ADAM GILCHRIST Hit Man


ADAM GILCHRIST Hit Man 
 
    Attack is his default position and defence the adjustment, that’s how an Australian writer once described Adam Gilchrist. Anyone who has watched “Gilly” bat one of his blinders would vouch for the fairness of that statement. Easily one of the greatest hitters and wicket keeperbatsmen of the game, Gilchrist’s blistering knocks had more impact on Australian innings than anyone else’s. Having taken over from Ian Healy, Gilchrist settled into Steve Waugh’s Dream Team well, playing along the likes of Shane Warne, Glenn McGrath, and Ricky Ponting, taking Australian cricket to new heights. Whenever there was a crisis, Gilchrist would deliver and how, obliterating the opposition bowling attacks to smithereens with a flurry of fours and sixes, often turning the match on its head. Recently in Mumbai for the Nasscom Leadership Summit, Gilchrist, now a brand ambassador for University of Wollongong spoke with CD on his aggressive approach to batting, tackling difficult situations and why he chose to walk away. Edited excerpts:
Balancing explosive action with a calm mind
In contrast to my batting style, I probably doubted myself a bit more than what I might have tried out on the field. That’s part of your wrestle as a sportsperson or anyone who has to present themselves in front of teammates, opponents, audiences, staff, customers. Often you having to get up and expose your inner self. There’s always that little fear of failure that can come from within, so it’s a balancing act. Mine was working at how to subside that feeling and allow your talent and skills to come to the fore. I think that is the difference between successful people and people who don’t attain the levels that they hope to.
Hit it out philosophy
This stems from my father. He always encouraged me to hit the ball. We used to do lots of practice and I nagged him to throw more balls. At the end of it, dad finished our coaching sessions with, ‘I am just going to throw and just smack it, just hit the ball’. That was the term he used, ‘just hit the ball’, because that is what the game is about and I think that carried true into my life. In the game, you are out there to score runs, not just to survive.
Starting out jitters
There’s always doubt and uncertainty that you have got to wrestle with. My best way to counter that was just embracing the challenge and trying to do it in an enjoyable manner. I mean, you have to love what you do. There are not too many people who are really successful at anything that don’t have some sort of passion for what they do. Even in challenging times, I said to myself, find a way of enjoying it, find a way to break it down to the basics. That would allow your natural skill to come through and help set you back on the right path.
Putting away disappointments very quickly
Ian Chappel once said that I was never out of form because I get out too quickly, which I think was a compliment. If I had low scores, I did not over-analyze it. I’d think about it, then move on. The only time I did really get into the data was in 2005 against England. It was a low point in my career, and on reflection, I was really analysing everything and working too hard to try and rectify, whereas what had allowed me to be successful after that point was — don’t be super-analytical, do the work, do the training, prepare as well as you can and after that, whatever happens, happens.
Even in risky situations — attack
In such scenarios there was no option but to be positive. The conditions are such that any tentative steps would come unstuck. Those were the situations I relished as a batsman. To go in there with the team under pressure, I felt it was the opportunity to counter-attack. It’s the same in life, in business. It’s about people who have the ability in adversity.
    First of all you have got to survive and be relevant, but then the growth opportunities are unbelievable in downturns because there is so much new space there you can move into if you are ready and aware of it.
Keep it simple philosophy
I may have issues at home or within the team, but I cannot do anything about that when I’m facing a fast bowler. It’s the same when I get home to my family — be committed to them, do not be worrying about the cricket. What you can do is enjoy what is in front of you. It’s a simple way to break your life down to make sure that you are maximizing your capabilities, whatever you are trying to achieve.
Deciphering Aussie Dream team success
We had a very, very talented group of individual cricketers brought together at the time, so it was a perfect storm. The belief we gained from observing each other since we knew each other really well. I observed the standards that Ricky Ponting, Steve Waugh, Shane Warne and Glenn McGrath set, so I could learn from them. We spurred each other on to continue to improve and John Buchanan’s leadership in always coming up with some sort of new incentive for us personally and collectively as a team helped. It wasn’t just about winning another series but finding ways to challenge us to continue to grow off the field, on the field, and I think that helped maintain the standard.
Choosing to walk away
That is an individual choice. It is one of the quirks of cricket that you can almost cheat the system and everyone knows about it except for one person and everyone accepts it. It is a funny little nuance of the game. In golf, if you did anything outside the game etiquette, you will be chastised. But cricket has got that funny little element that you can fool an umpire and get away with it, everyone seems to accept it, but it is an individual choice.CD
by Vinod Mahanta CDET 140228

No comments: