Friday, September 27, 2013

FOOD TRAILS WORLD SPECIAL (3).....crunchy frites and chocolate powder in Belgium


ON A GASTRONOMIC BREAK 

Sujata Reddy bites into crunchy frites and gets a high sniffing chocolate powder in Belgium

FRIES, WAFFLES, CHOCOLATE
WHERE: Brussels, Ghent, Bruges...
And a plate full of French Fries please,” I said, placing my last order from an oversized leather bound menu, at a canal facing restaurant in Bruges, Belgium. “We don’t have French Fries but I can get you a plate full of Belgian Fries, madam. And they’re tastier,” said the waiter with a hint of arrogance and perhaps irritation. As he left, my companion was quick to fill me in that Belgians don’t take too kindly to any reference to the humble fries as French Fries as they believe that the dish originated on their soil. Frites, as they are locally called, are to Belgium what vada pav is to Mumbai and burgers to America and Belgians are very possessive of that. I was careful never to address frites as French Fries throughout my time in Belgium. Frite stalls are a common sight in Belgian corners, serving piping hot fries in paper cones topped with generous portions of mayonnaise. Delicious!
INSPIRED BY TASTE
As I continued on my food trail, I was surprised to see how our own contemporary tastes have been heavily influenced by Belgian specialities; fries being the biggest example. And who hasn’t heard of Belgian chocolates? Considered the epitome of fine chocolate, a walk down the alleys in the cities of Ghent and Brussels was a delight to my senses! As I passed by confectionary stores, I was treated to aromas of a variety of chocolate being whipped in large bowls, even as attendants arranged newly cooled batches of chocolate on the shelves. Add to that the scent of freshly baked bread being sliced for eager customers in the never ending number of bakeries here and you can imagine why I was hungry all the time. With strong food fragrances lingering on the streets, it’s still a mystery as to how anyone in Belgium can ever muster the will power to go on a diet!
TAKE A SNIFF...
It was a nippy day and I was out sightseeing in Bruges, when I passed by a chocolate shop. Giving in to my hunger pangs I stepped in to bite my way through for some instant energy. The sheer variety drove me nuts and I ended up tasting chocolate with cola filling and a variety of spice chocolates in wasabi, chilli and lemongrass flavours. You’d think that I had my fill, but I was far from done. Sensing my enthusiasm, the girl at the store carefully removed a box from a designated cabinet, in
which were placed two round tins of chocolate powder and a glass apparatus. Originally designed for the English rock band, Rolling Stones, she said I could just sniff the chocolate powder. Scooping a pinch onto a slot on the apparatus, she held it near my nose and asked me to inhale as she counted to three. On the count of three, she released the lever which sent the powder flying deep into my nose. I think it reached straight to my brain as the chocolatey sensation lasted for a few hours. One thing was clear, chocolate, fresh bread and soft butter are not temptations, but a way of life in Belgium.
    Belgian beer is also the reason behind many happy relationships here. Each beer brand recommends specific shapes of glasses to best enjoy the beverage and eateries here take great care to serve in these glasses itself.
    Though it seems like a lot, waffles, frites, chocolates, bread and mussels make up for just the tip of the gastronomic iceberg that is Belgium. Bliss!


TR130912

No comments: