Thursday, July 25, 2013

WOMAN /ENTRTEPRENEUR SPECIAL .....: An Indian Entrepreneur Spreads Her Knowledge from the City to the Rural Town


Designing Woman: An Indian Entrepreneur Spreads Her Knowledge from the City to the Rural Towns
 
Sandhya Volety is president of Wonders, an interior and exterior design business in Hyderabad, India. She traveled to the U.S. in May 2010 to participate in the Vital Voices Fortune/U.S. State Department Global Mentoring Program, during which she was mentored by five Goldman Sachs women executives. Volety spoke with Knowledge@Wharton about her business growth strategies following her graduation from the 10,000 Women certificate program at the Indian School of Business and discussed her broader mission to educate and empower other women around India.

Knowledge@Wharton: When did you start your design business, Wonders?
Volety: I started Wonders five years ago. Prior to that, I had worked as a teacher and [helped develop] multimedia and special effects for the Hindi movie industry. [This work] didn't give me satisfaction. I come from a country where there is a high rate of unemployment, especially among women. My biggest ambition in life has been to create employment opportunity for one and all. So I started Wonders.
I didn't know much about running my own business, nor did I know anything about Indian architecture. I learned a lot from books and talking with friends. The first few years of my business were smooth sailing and [I experienced] natural growth. Then I reached a point where I couldn't take my business to the next level of growth, [couldn't] make it bigger. I started looking at different management programs and came across the Indian School of Business in Hyderabad. A friend told me that the 10,000 Women program would be perfect for me.
Knowledge@Wharton: And was it?
Volety: The course was an eye-opener. We had to make a business plan, and I became committed to that long-term vision. It is a good tool [for providing] a bigger picture and a long-term goal. My business has grown. Previously I had 15 contractors I would hire; now it is more than double -- I hire 35 or 40. Since the course, I have collaborated with a builder who is constructing 20 apartments and my business is doing interiors for all 20 apartments. I now have economies of scale. Otherwise I was running about from project to project.
When you associate yourself with people who have a brand name, like this company I'm collaborating with in Hyderabad, then you work toward your own branding effort. We are working on a concept called "ready to occupy" with these 20 apartments, and we are doing up everything from the furnishings to finishings to flooring and fixtures. The customer just walks in and his apartment is all fixed up. Selling our services as a package is a fairly new concept in Hyderabad, and it is attractive for the buyers.
Knowledge@Wharton: Do you feel like your gender is a disadvantage in forging such partnerships?
Volety: Absolutely not. There are more than 250 Indian design firms in Hyderabad alone, and most of them are owned and run by women. We haven't run into any discrimination.
Knowledge@Wharton: With so much competition, what marketing strategies do you use to stand out in your industry?
Volety: I initiated an exposition called Ativa in 2008, even before I was a graduate of 10,000 Women in 2009. With Ativa, I travel to the district towns in my area and put on expositions where I invite and expose women to modern living concepts. I bring products that are available in the cities and not the district towns, such as carpets, paintings, cushions and other interior designs for their houses. I also involve local women -- who make hand-made products, like bags, designer candles and paintings -- in the expos. I give them a platform to showcase and exhibit their own products. I also help them create employment for women.
Knowledge@Wharton: Do you consider Ativa a success?
Volety: I know for sure that there is a lot of potential in the district areas. Nobody has tapped those markets. Once I go there, people are aware that Wonders is a company that does interiors. It is a marketing tool. Many of them have called me to do interiors for them. Also, women who are living in those areas have the talent, but they don't have the exposure to what is happening in the outside world. They don't know how to market or how to advertise. This is a way of bridging the gap between cities and towns. This helps them to come out in the open and talk about their own products. Once I leave, the women who have participated in the exposition have the chance to be known in their own community. An example is women I met who make homemade foods, like pickles and sweets. They are now looking, following my expo, to set up a store in one of these towns. 
Knowledge@Wharton: Do you believe it is your role to help other women entrepreneurs?
Volety: After the Goldman Sachs program, I started Anuva, a knowledge-sharing forum. We had our first forum on March 8, 2010, International Women's Day. I invited women in Hyderabad in different businesses and told them about the 10,000 Women program and how it has helped me scale up my business. This is a knowledge-sharing forum where I talk to women and train them on management, leadership and business skills.
I started mentoring 10 of these women very closely after the forum; five of them have started their own businesses since March 8. The other five are waiting for me to get back and help them. I personally feel that it is our responsibility to give back to our community. The vision of 10,000 Women is to benefit and train women, benefit families and also to benefit the economy of the entire country because you set up your own business, create employment and help people grow. If Goldman Sachs trains 10,000 women in the world, the chain should not stop there. If they can do 10,000, why can't I do 10?
http://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/10000women/article.cfm?articleid=6161

No comments: