Thursday, September 13, 2012

TRAVEL SPECIAL..Solo travel isn’t lonely travel



Solo travel isn’t lonely travel 

Fashion designer and avid traveller Babita Malkani tells why travelling alone can be inspirational and so much fun

MY TRIPS INSPIRE MY DESIGNS
    
I was in South Africa on a holiday and so decided to head to Tanzania for a break. While flying over Zanzibar, I was impressed by the natural beauty of the island and altered my plans to accommodate three days there as well. It was such an amazing trip. I spent time in the Serengeti, hung out with the Masai tribals and even went hunting with the Bushmen. Eventually, this experience led to my latest collection that I showcased at the Mumbai Fashion Week Winter Festive 2012, recently. Accessories and outfits were my dedication to the Masai Mara tribes. When audiences appreciated and enquired more about the destination, it gave me immense satisfaction.
CHOOSING YOUR TRAVEL DESTINATION
    
Choose a place where your heart really is set on visiting. If you like lively party places head to Ibiza or go to London or New York. I love being around free-spirited people. I visit locales that are off the main route… lesser known places where the culture is different and inspiring.
IS SAFETY A CONCERN?
    
How safe you feel in a place depends a lot on your mindset. If you’re scared about travelling to a new place then you might as well stay home. There are safety issues for sure… and as a lone woman traveller you can never be too careful so always go with your gut feeling.
    SOLO TRAVEL IS LONELY TRAVEL. TRUE?
    
That’s a wrong preconception about travelling alone. You make a lot of friends along the way. Go to a pub or restaurant and you’re sure to find people sharing travel stories and asking you where you are from. Here again, you have to be careful about the kinds of friends you make. Gauge for yourself if the person is worth getting to know. The best part about travelling solo is that you get to experience the destination in such a fresh new way. When you travel with companions, often you spend most of your time interacting with them rather than with the locals. I have made a lot of friends through my travels and the best advice I can give those looking to travel solo is go with your instinct.
ET120816

No comments: