Tuesday, June 19, 2012

FOR THOSE TILL ON THIS..THE NEW WAY TO BREAK THE ICE WITH WOMEN


THE NEW WAY TO BREAK THE ICE WITH WOMEN

Pick-up lines are passé, what’s catching on abroad is ‘Call Me Maybe’ business cards. Melissa D’costa asks single men and women what they think of the new ‘pick-up’ trend



    You are sitting at the bar with a group of friends, sharing anecdotes about the latest happenings in and around your life, when one of the guys you fancy in the group, starts chatting with you. Before you know it, it’s time to go home, but instead of asking you for your number, he hands you over what looks like a business card. On closer inspection, you realise it’s not a normal business card and has the sentences, “Hey I just met you, and this is crazy, but here’s my number. So call me, maybe?” inscribed on it. Crazy you think or intrigued? The ball is in your court now, and you have to decide if you want to pick up the phone and ask your potential date out. Romantic or lame? We get reactions of singles to this new trend that’s slowly catching on in dating circles, and has been inspired by the song that goes by the same name, performed by Canadian singer-songwriter Carly Rae Jepsen.
‘Call me maybe cards’ v/s clichéd pick up lines
Renita D’souza (20), travel agent, says, “The concept sounds quite cool. I think it’s high time Indian men learnt how to ask a woman out in ways that are less creepy, and about a zillion times more creative and fun. I had a guy once say something similar. “I know this is crazy, but I think you look very interesting,” and handed me a piece of paper with his chat id on it. I thought it was really sweet, a nice, non-intrusive compliment, but I didn’t take the paper, as I was not sure if it was a prank.”
    Nikki Shah (26), a media executive, says, “It’s a brilliant idea, for someone who will have to make the first move rather than wait till someone who shows interest in them. This gives you a chance to have fun, sound casual about it, without coming across as being desperate, and at the same time, it eliminates the possibility of a face-to-face rejection.”
    Rohan Gupta (24) a MBA student, adds, “I am not very tactful when it comes to making conversation with women. I am always concious, so I would definitely try this as it seems like a good way to break the ice, and approach a girl without coming across too strongly.”
Some pick-up lines that have been used and abused
Your place or mine?
 Do you believe in love at first sight, or should I walk by again?
 Do I know you? Cause you look a lot like my next girlfriend.
If you were a burger at McDonald’s you’d be the McGorgeous.
You may fall from the sky, you may fall from a tree, but the best way to fall... is in love with me.
Coffee, tea or me?
BT 120603

No comments: