Tuesday, October 18, 2011

CAREER TIPS...FIVE WAYS TO TELL YOUR BOSS HE'S WRONG

Five Ways To... Tell Your Boss He is Wrong
“No sir! I don't agree”. Often, you gulp these words to avoid offending your boss. But that doesn’t mean you shouldn't try. If you present the right case with the wrong attitude, it will fall on deaf ears. When done the right way, your boss will value you as a trusted guide. Anand Altekar shows how you can get there.


1 Be Discreet


You do not want to embarrass or humiliate your boss in public. “ I make sure that I talk to my boss in person or on the phone if a one-on-one meeting is not possible,” says Siddharth Tamhankar, Senior QA Engineer at Cybage Software. Also, try to avoid emails since your boss might want to keep the discussion of his errors off the record. “I make sure I speak only what I think, I never say ‘Sir, others are saying the same thing’ that only leads to an argument,” remarks Siddharth.


2 Be Sure of Yourself


“We encourage spontaneity in our company. As long as it is for the company’s benefit, it really doesn’t matter who the advice comes from. I am more responsive when my junior is honest and has no fear,” says Josy Paul, chairman and chief creative officer, BBDO. Be certain about your judgment. Double check. And once you are sure, don’t waste any time. “Though I normally discuss a problem with my boss, there have been times when she did not respond properly. When I was new in the company, I was not introduced to certain processes and I was not receiving the right support from my boss. Since I was sure of what I wanted I escalated my complaint to her boss and had the problem solved soon,” says Priyanka Sonawane, HR executive at iResearch Services.


3 Empathise with Boss


There is no reason to relish the fact that the boss is wrong. Everyone makes mistakes, even those in charge. Acknowledge your boss’ authority. Always remember, you are only in a position to suggest, so try not to dominate the conversation. Your agenda must be the betterment of the company. Focus on the effect the mistake will have on the business, not your boss’ shortcomings. “I always explain my point to my boss as if he is a customer. I usually think to myself, if a customer had a wrong product and I wanted to sell him my company’s product, will I say, ‘It was a really stupid move to buy that product in the first place?’says Karan Pandav, sales and marketing engineer at Forbes Marshall.


4 Start on Positive Note


You can start with asking permission to speak. Compliment your boss for a strategy that was his or her initiative. This adds a positive tone to your feedback. “When I start on a positive note in telling my boss that she is wrong, the conversation turns out much more constructive,” says Sonia Malani, assistant manager, HR at Bajaj Allianz.


5 Keep an Open Mind


“I never start in an ‘I told you so’ manner. That results in an unproductive argument. I also make an effort not to approach my boss assuming the 'I am right and you are wrong' attitude. My boss and I share a friendly relationship," says Vikhyat Karumanchi, technology manager at Uniken Systems. But unless you share a similar relationship with your boss, trudge with care — avoid getting aggressive.


(CBL...ET10O1011))

No comments: